Whole30 Day 8 – Turkey Chili with Yams – This chili is hearty, warm, and savory. I love the sweet potatoes in there to give it a sweetness to the dish while the chilis’ give it a nice kick to open the taste buds and warm the soul.
This morning’s commute was brutal because of the rain. It took me 2 hours and 20 mins to get into the office to door. I drove an hour to the train station, 1 hour train ride, and a 20 minute walk. I was going to turn around after an hour of driving but I was already a few blocks away from the train station. I missed 2 trains. Since I haven’t seen my boss in a couple of weeks, I wanted to go in to catch up on everything. It was great seeing him and catching up on work and life.
I signed up for a barre class at Pure Barre in Palo Alto right next to my train station. I purposely park there so that I can take a class right after work and let traffic die down. Rather than being stuck in the car for another hour, it will only take me 15-20 minutes to get home. I really enjoy barre class and I’m starting to feel the results from it. It’s a combination of ballet, pilates, and yoga. We start the class with a warm up by doing knee highs and then we get right into core with pilates abs 100’s then we focus on upper body and then lower body. To finish the work out we do more core exercises and cool down with stretches. It’s truly an incredible class and I really enjoy it. It’s a class that focuses on working small groups.
When I got home, I wanted something warm and hearty from the cold rainy night and something to nourish my body. I’ve become a pro with my NutriChef electric pressure cooker and making meals on this thing only takes me 30 minutes or less. The turkey chili that I decided to make only too 15 minutes to cook and it was the perfect meal to end the day.
- Whole30 Day 2 - Turkey Chili with Sweet Yams (instal-pot)
- Prep time: 10 minsCook time: 12 minsTotal time: 22 minsIngredients
- 1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 of red onions
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 medium size yam (approximately 2.5 cups) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 - 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using an electric pressure cooker, turn on the warming or sauté setting
- Heat the olive oil for 1-2 minutes
- Add garlic, onions, jalapeño, and sauce until translucent
- Add the turkey and cook until brown
- Add the paprika, chili powder, and ground cumin, and stir
- Add the yams, crushed tomatoes, and chicken broth
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Close the lid and set it for 12 minutes