Day 17 – Whole30 Lettuce Wrap with Jicama Slaw – These lettuce wraps are so fun to eat. It gives me an excuse to use my hands and get messy. These wraps are full of asian flavors with the 5 spice powder which is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and szechwan peppercorns. The jicama slaw gives texture and acidity while the butter lettuce really give a buttery finish.
I had a hard time getting up this morning. My mind was awake but my body was sore like a rock. I couldn’t get up but I finally had to for my long commute to work. After moving around, my body adjusted and the pain went away until I saw in the train for an hour at which was difficult to get up and walk to the office.
I scheduled another barre class tonight at Pure Barre in Palo Alto. The studio where it all started and fell in love with barre. I found the class class to be easier this time around for some reason. I was able to do a sit up without any issues and the pilates 100’s became a favorite. My abs were burning and I can feel the six pack coming out. Ok, maybe not but one day I can have at least a couple of packs.
I was going to schedule another barre class tomorrow at a different studio but I’ve decided I need a rest day. I’m sure my muscles will be thanking me tomorrow. I will be sure to foam roll my entire body before I go to bed tonight.
I was surfing the web about barre and found this on youtube. It’s a couple of guys trying barre for the first time and it’s very funny. I think this was exactly what it was like on my first barre class. It was challenging and I wanted to die during class but I survived it and I’m loving the results so far. It’s getting to be addicting and I’m so glad I found something I love doing.
For dinner I wanted something fun to eat. I always find lettuce wraps to be fun and that’s what I needed after a hard barre workout. The ground turkey was flavored with ginger, garlic, 5 spice powder and coconut aminos. I topped it with a jicama slaw for a cooling crunchy effect and a splash of acid to tie it all together.
- 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs of minced ginger
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of diced mushrooms
- 1 lb of ground turkey or ground beef or ground chicken
- 2 tbs of coconut amino acids
- salt and pepper to taste
- Jicama Slaw
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and julienne to 1 1/2 inch match sticks
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienne to 1 1/2 inch match sticks
- 5 radishes, sliced
- a bunch of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 5 mini sweet peppers, ends trimmed and julienne
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbs of extra olive oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil over medium hight heat
- Add the minced ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant
- Add the mushroom and sauté until tender
- Add the turkey and cook until brown
- Add coconut amino acid
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Jicama Slaw
- combine all the ingredients and mix well